The Xenu Cake™
(beta version for english language countries with
- Melt the cooking chocolate in the oven at 120°C,
or in a bain
- Grease and flour your springform tin
- After removing the chocolate, heat oven to ca.
160°C with top and bottom heat, fan off
- Separate your egg whites and yolks. Beat the egg
whites until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, oil and
sugar until foamy; gently fold in flour and baking
powder and ground almonds, then stir in the melted
- Fold in the whipped egg whites, stirring as little
as possible to retain the air in the mixture.
- Pour the batter as fast as you can into the cake
tin, and bake in the centre of the wall of fire
(aka oven) for 40-45 minutes. DO NOT open the oven
door for at least the first 30 minutes, or you will
end up with an almond-meal pancake.
- While the cake is cooking, make the
filling: Mix together chestnut flour, rum, lemon juice
or cream, powdered icing sugar and vanilla essence,
and keep mixing until the mixture is thick.
- Once the cake is cooked, cool completely on a
- Once it has cooled, slice it in half horizontally,
fill the centre with the filling, and put it in the
refrigerator for two hours. If the filling is trying
to escape, wrap the whole in plastic wrap.
- Heat up a half-cup of the raspberry or red currant
jam to make it easier to spread. You want it warm but
not burning hot.
- Spread the outside of the cake with the jam and
allow to cool.
- For the icing: In a bain
marie, heat the cooking chocolate and the cream,
and stir until all the lumps of chocolate have
melted. Remove the bowl from the water and keep
stirring until the glaze has cooled (it should be warm
but not hot to touch).
- Cover the cake with the glaze.
- Use the pre-made icing or the marzipan to make the
decoration, using the writing-icing and the chestnuts
to make suitably Xenu-like eyes.
- Put it away to cool for a few hours before cutting.
- Clear: Clear: The ability to make a
batter or dough without engrams (lumps)
- OT Preps: Ability to understand a
recipe and follow the steps in a cooking show.
- OT Eligibility: The ability to cook
using a recipes without your mum helping.
- OT I: The ability to find your way
around a pantry.
- OT II: The ability to overcome the
failures of past recipes during your life.
head shape of Xenu was created by downloading this
picture, then open it in IrfanView, and print
in A4 portrait format; then cut the picture out and use as
a template for the marzipan/icing mix. The stars and
planets are made with small cookie cutters normally used
to cut out Christmas cookies.